Facets Vs. Terraform
When it comes to infrastructure as code, Terraform is a popular choice for many organizations. However, managing Terraform can be complex, requiring teams to manually set up workflows and manage multiple components. This is where Facets comes in.
Facets is a platform for managing infrastructure as code workflows, providing a standard experience for teams to work with Terraform. It abstracts the complexities of Terraform, allowing teams to write a simple Domain Specific Language (DSL) that is easy to understand, even for non-DevOps individuals.
It is important to note that Facets and Terraform serve different purposes and should not be compared as apples to apples. Terraform is an infrastructure as a code tool, while Facets is a platform for managing infrastructure as code workflows.
With Facets, teams can focus on writing code, while Facets takes care of the underlying workflows and management. This leads to a more streamlined and efficient workflow, freeing up time and resources for teams to focus on delivering value to their customers.
Advantages of Facets Over Terraform
- User-friendly Experience: Facets provides a self-serve interface that requires no specialized knowledge, making it easy to use for everyone.
- No Risk of Drift: Facets ensures that there are no discrepancies between different environments, preventing drift that can cause problems. In contrast, Terraform requires all releases to go through the audited IaC framework, which can sometimes delay small fixes.
- Monitoring and Logging: Facets includes an environment dashboard that provides users with an overview of their applications' performance and health. In addition, Facets makes it easy to set up alerts and notifications to help you stay informed of important changes.
- Reusable Configuration: Facets makes it easy to reuse configurations, making it a more efficient solution than Terraform, which requires the use of modules to achieve similar functionality.
- Release History and Logs: Facets keeps a history of all releases, making it easier to track changes and identify issues.
- Secure Credential Management: Facets provides account management for credentials, helping you to secure your sensitive information.
- Effortless Deployment and Rollback: Facets makes it easy to deploy code and perform rollbacks, eliminating the difficulties associated with Terraform.
In summary, while Terraform is an excellent tool for infrastructure as code, Facets takes it to the next level by providing a platform for managing infrastructure as code workflows. By choosing Facets, organizations can save time and resources, improve collaboration, and gain a competitive advantage. Teams do not need to know the nuances of Terraform to reap its benefits, and if required, they can write pluggable Terraform modules for added functionality.
Updated about 2 months ago